Some questions do not have answers

Sunday, January 29, 2006

What Makes You A Good Catch?

I went out recently with one of my old friends who was bemoaning the fact that he couldn't find a girl who would love him for who he was.

Him: Seriously, this is killing me. I've been rejected 3 times. It's because I'm not good looking enough! *hmph*
Me: *nods sympathetically*
Him: I mean, seriously, where are the days where girls would choose ugly guys to be their boyfriend because they make dependable boyfriends/husbands?!
Me: Uh...
Him: I'm serious. If your boyfriend is not good looking, no other girl would want him. He'll be yours. All. Yours. Why can't girls see that??
Me: Uhh...
Him: Forget it. Do you know any blind girls to recommend to me?
Me: I have a friend who is single...
Him: Is she blind? *hopeful*
Me: No....
Him: Then I'm not interested. I need a blind girl!!!

Throughout the conversation I was trying not to laugh but the truth is, his pain is real. However, I don't think that only guys who are not good looking are the victims in the dating game. After all, if you are a girl and you are not pretty, isn't it the same case? It has been proven that guys place more importance on looks compared to girls. Which means that if my friend was complaining, all homely girls out there must be crying in despair.

I admit that I myself tend to get attracted to good looking guys. Who doesn't? However, I think that it is just a factor that is considered during the initial phase of getting to know each other. Once the friendship deepens, I feel that looks do not play much of a role. True, getting a good looking boyfriend is considered to be an accomplishment by many. In fact, I have friends who blatantly say that if she can't visualize herself walking down a street with him, he's off the list. But what is more important to me is his personality. Even the best looking guy in the world who is cruel, a liar and a cheater would not win any girl over easily.

Last time I checked, my friend was on the verge of finding happiness. I guess some girl finally appreciates him for who he is.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home