Some questions do not have answers

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Pen & Paper

As is becoming evident the more I blog, I go through phases in life where I get obsessed about something and go all the way out for it. One of the longest lasting craze I ever had in my life was writing letters. In a sense, I guess I have never really gotten over writing letters. By hand.

During my younger years around 11-12 there was a point where I had about 30 penpals and was receiving letters through the mail at the rate of 3-4 a day. I loved it. Getting a handwritten letter all the way from wherever my penpal was from - be it just a neighbouring town or from the other side of the world was something special, almost an event. Think about it - the person had to sit down, take a pen and write about what was going on in their lives...get the stamps and etc and finally post it. And the exact same thing arrives in the mail. Addressed to me. Me me me...

Fast-forward to the present: I currently only have one penpal that I remain in contact with and she happens to be in Melbourne. Somehow, the non-stop writing between me and my other pen pals dwindled away... probably due to growing up and getting increasingly busy. I don't know. My correspondence with my friends back home are all through email or MSN due to the convenience and speed of it. However, I confess - I still prefer the old fashioned snail mail way. True - it is much slower and definitely very inconvenient. In other words, you have to go the extra mile. However, it is something much more meaningful and personal and I treasure it.

Just received a snailmail letter from my friend today from the USA. I am charmed once again.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home