Some questions do not have answers

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Wild Goose Chase

It all started off wrong this morning when I got to the tennis court to play and the door to the court was locked. The security guard was nowhere in sight - leaving us to stand there and wait for him to come to open the door. This locking of the tennis court thing at my country club is starting to really annoy me. I don't understand the need for it. Apparently it's to ensure that everybody registers before they play a game instead of just going into the court.

Anyway, after the game my dad wanted to get some fish for his water lilly pond. When we got there, my dad searched for the wallet that contained our membership cards and some cash for small things like this. It wasn't there.

This set of a chain reaction which often happens when something like this happens in my family. The first thing my dad did was to blame me. After all, I was the only available victim at hand. 'Why didn't you check to make sure that we took everything before leaving the club?! You're always doing things like this!' By always he was referring to the time where I accidentally left my membership card on the bench and stalked off after the game. Once. Not always. I got it back anyway after a couple of days.

The next step was obviously to rush back to the club....all the while prophesying that the wallet would be gone in a doomsday voice. ' It's not going to be there. It's been proven that if you leave something at the club, it's going to be gone. Gone.'

He then proceeded to rattle on about what was in the wallet, how much trouble it was going to be to replace all the membership cards that were inside and all the while insinuating that I was to blame for this whole scenario. If that wasn't enough, he then started complaining about all the time we were wasting, petrol we were using and the loss of opportunity to get his fishes that day.

Anyway, we got there and the security guard handed us the wallet before I even said what I was there for. I thanked him profusely and felt a twinge of guilt for being annoyed at him for being a bit slow to open the court for us this morning. My faith in humankind restored once again, I got into the car and spent the journey home speculating with my dad how we managed to accidentally leave it behind. My dad had the last word in the argument of course - 'You better not do such a thing again! Irresponsible...'

One thing I've learnt - borrowing trouble is just a complete waste of time. My dad's non-stop 'what if' and pessimistic outlook was way too depressing and unnecessary, although he was probably just preparing for the worst. After all, we got it back. All that worrying for nothing. However, I shall try to be more 'responsible' in the future, since that's what I'm supposed to be when one is approaching the green old age of 21.

Going to destress.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home