Some questions do not have answers

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Wafer Roses

When I was really young (by really young I mean kindergarten young), whenever I went to a local restaurant to have a meal out due to whatever special occasion it was, there was only one thing I truly cared about when it came to the dishes that were served - the garnishing. Specifically, the wafer rose that came with it. I didn't care much for the food itself. Nobody would if they don't eat seafood and they were going to eat a typical chinese banquet.



I used to practically fight with my cousins over the wafer rose that came with it. Now that I look back, I don't even know why that was the case. The wafer usually isn't even crispy anymore so it doesn't even taste great anyway. Plus, it's artificially colored. So why should some soggy piece of wafer make me go all excited anyway??

I think it's probably the novelty of it more than anything else - the fact that it wasn't something that was available everyday. Which makes me realise that when I was young, it took so little to satisfy me - even a wafer rose was enough to make me a happy girl for the day. The older I get, the more I want out of life. However, I think not all is lost. Recently I was shopping and saw a keychain which housed a real life small cactus in it. It gave me almost as much pleasure as buying 3 pairs of shoes.

Maybe I should collect wafer roses again.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home