Some questions do not have answers

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Sprout Spout

One of the common things my mother does to me when I'm just sitting around doing nothing is to tell me to go to the kitchen, open the glass drawer (by that she means the plastic drawer at the bottom of the fridge that is commonly used to store vegetables) and take out a gigantic bag of bean sprouts and de-tail them. Also known as yanking off the roots of those beansprouts.


Mung Beansprouts

Sometimes it's vaguely therapeutic to sit at the kitchen table slowly plucking off the roots manually one by one so that the sprouts look nice with no ratty tails trailing when it's added into a dish. After all, you get to see the before and after results. Other times, I just want to kill the person who came up with the idea of pulling off the roots. They're edible for goodness' sake! I do it sulkily. After all, it's technically not necessary to de-tail beansprouts and I could be doing something better with my time. Like sleeping or bumming around.

I have a friend who says that de-tailing beansprouts is a way families bonds together. Opening a huge bag of beansprouts and having a whole group of middle age aunties who are sisters or relatives to sit around to get the aforesaid sprouts all nice and clean and worthy of going into the cooking pot was supposed to be the highlight of any family gathering This was the time where sundry gossip would be exchanged and housewifely advice on how to make the best tasting pork spare ribs or where to get the cheapest groceries would be dished out. I agree with my friend. And it's probably a common scene in various households across the world this Chinese New Year season.

Feeling very nostalgic.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home