Some questions do not have answers

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Unwanted Physical Contact

It may be interesting to know that I hate people who are very touchy-feely.

I think it's unnecessary - especially if I don't even know you that well. Sure, I still hug people when I meet them and shake hands when I'm introduced to someone new, but that's where I draw the line.

My friend wrote a Friendster testimonial recently and she mentioned that I do not like my face to be touched. I read it and I suddenly remembered that it was true - it was almost a defining characteristic. In dental school my friend was examining me and she was using her hands to move my face left and right so that she could get better access to what she was looking at and I was so close to getting out of the chair and screaming at her to stop it. Not that it was her fault - it's just me. Anything on my face just grates my nerves to shreds.

Of course there must be something along the way when I grew up that made me this way. And I know what it is.

When I was about 7 I went to school and we were supposed to hand in our homework of assigned to us on the previous day. I suddenly realized that I forgot to bring it. I explained it to my teacher and she in turned didn't believe me and pinched me so hard on my cheek that when I went home, even though I didn't tell my mom about the episode, my mom noticed the bruise on my face and demanded to know what had happened to me.

I guess that's how it started. Even a pinch on my arm now drives me crazy. Incidentally, I don't know what's up with teachers like this. Do they really think that by doing that I would be more compliant and willing to please her? Does she really think that doing something like leaves a positive impact on a young and tender mind? Did she really want to be remembered fondly as the teacher who scarred me for life? (okay, a little bit dramatic here, but you get the point).

My first written paper is tomorrow. Wish me luck.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home