Some questions do not have answers

Friday, June 02, 2006

Evelyn Loves Koko Black

When the first half of my day was obviously not going well, my friend suggested that we go for a drink in Koko Black so that I could 'chill' and calm down to face the coming onslought of more nightmarish scenarios.

Koko Black is a chocolate boutique born in Melbourne. I still remember the first time I walked past their city store about 3 years ago. I thought it looked nice, went in and discovered one piece of chocolate costs AUD1.40 (about RM4). Although I now know that AUD1.40 is peanuts compared to other chocolates out there, my then innocent mind (not so innocent anymore) couldn't digest it.

Anyway, I only started eating it regularly about 1-2 years ago. Yes, it is a luxury (in both a financial and caloric sense) but it is well worth it. A strange thing to note is that to date, I have never actually bought Koko Black chocolates for myself. I've either

1. Gotten them as gifts.
2. Gone with friends who choose to treat me at the spur of the moment.
3. Won them.

Of course, now that I've said it out loud I'm probably going to be footing the bill for the rest of my life now.



Display case of Koko Black - almost as dazzling as the display case of Tiffany & Co. Almost.


Koko Black Gift Boxes - Koko Black gift boxes come in a few sizes, from a tiny box containing just 2 pieces to the magical, sublime 64 piece box. I have received all sizes except the elusive unattainable 64. I don't blame anybody - it costs AUD90.

Koko Black also specializes in drinks and other chocolate based desserts, but what impresses me the most about this store is definitely their hand-made chocolates. I choose to review 6 pieces today - graciously given to me by my friend yesterday to cheer me up. It's a little bit banged up because I carried it to the city and back in a paperbag.



Clockwise from top:

Hazelnut Cluster - My favourite chocolate of all time. Hands down. 3 candied hazelnuts coated in milk/dark chocolate. I could eat them on a daily basis.

Chai Tea - Slightly tea-flavoured. Yummy.

Caramelized Coconut - Exactly what it says, coated with white chocolate.

Almond Praline - I'm having mixed sentiments about almonds right now. I used to like them a lot, but lately almonds have been tasting... too almond-y.

Nougat - Another one of my favourites.

Strawberry Something - I can't remember the exact name, only that I know it's definitely strawberry flavoured and the texture inside is mousse-like.


Sigh. It's all gone now. The only thing for me to do now is to find a four-leafed clover, get lucky and discover tomorrow that there's a bottomless box of Koko Black chocolates outside my front door. Addressed to me. Me me me...

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home