Some questions do not have answers

Monday, June 05, 2006

Daddy's Plastic vs Cold Hard Cash

I've been trying to save more money lately so that after the exams I can go for a good long well deserved session of retail therapy. Because of that I've been eating in and spending cash instead of using my card. Cash tends to make you more aware of the fact that money is going out.

I still remember when I got my first credit cards. It was my 18th birthday and my parents gave me and envelope and told me that I was now an adult and they believed that I was responsible enough to be awarded them. I got two (one Mastercard and one Visa) but I only use one generally because it's my favourite.


Daddy's Plastic - My shopping companion. Which I should prepare to part with end of 2008 when I graduate. *sob*

Incidentally, having a card makes a lot of difference to how you're served. I still remember I went to Sakae Sushi in Singapore once during a shopping trip and when I went up to the counter to pay, the cashier petulantly printed out the receipt.

Cashier: $19.80. *slapped down the receipt*
Me: *slides the card over*
Cashier: *mollified expression* Oh, thank you, Miss *surname*
Me: .....

Suddenly I was viewed as a serious customer and deserved to be called by name.

No, I have never psychotically charged a few thousand dollars for fun before and I don't intend to. My parent's trust is worth more than that. And I've never bought things that are not um... approved by my parents using it either. That's what cash is for.

18 more days to go....

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home