Some questions do not have answers

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Kacang Lupakan Kulit

Here's a post to all international students who have been looked down upon just because we don't talk, act or enjoy the same things that local Asians do.

There's nothing more annoying than somebody insulting people directly and matter-of-factly without even considering that perhaps it is a little bit offensive to the person right in front of them.

Kacang lupakan kulit is a Malay proverb which translates to "A nut forgetting it's shell". I guess it means something along the lines of someone who forgets their roots or origin. Who you are.

I know somebody who openly disdains anything and anybody remotely Asian... especially international students. Forgetting that the person he is bitching to is international and doesn't take kindly to direct insults. Forgetting that he himself is Asian, try as he might to act, think, talk like someone who isn't.

If you think Asians are superficial, unrefined, vulgar, elitist, of bad taste, I guess that means I am too. That is my identity and I do not choose to reject my roots - even if you do. What I believe is that no matter who a person is they deserve to be treated with respect. And at least have the grace to bitch behind my back instead of openly insulting my own race in my face.

Note: This post does not apply to all local Asians that I know - most of them are fine. I am good friends with many of them. Just a couple who think they are better than the average person.

1 comment(s):

septic micro-organism~~~
BUAHAHA ur friend is so funny~

ya, don't worry about silly ppl
there's much better things to think about eg uhhh....our upcoming dental practice exam in 2 hrs time~ nah jus kding...
more like ur fav cakes and branded shoes and bags!~ hoho~

did i tell u i LOST my baby blue burberry scarf~ >O<~ *screamz*

By Blogger angela, at 7:13 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home