Some questions do not have answers

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Evelyn Eats Dessert Pizza

I haven't been eating out all that much lately because of my attempt to save money (it seems as if I'm forever saving up for something) and exams. However, we went to Blue Fire in Melbourne Central to celebrate my friend's birthday yesterday.



I've heard a lot about that place but never had the opportunity to go, mainly because ever since I moved from Southbank back to Carlton I hardly venture into the city nowadays. Firstly, I have to buy a tram ticket - that's usually what hinders me the most. After 2 years of having a monthly tram ticket buying tickets every time I take a ride hurts - a lot. Secondly, there's just no reason for me to go into the city anymore since I study in Carlton, do my grocery shopping in Carlton, eat in Carlton and stay in Carlton. Sad but true fact.

Back to Blue Fire. I heard a lot about it and many people told me that it was a nice place to go so I had pretty high expectations. We ordered 4 pizzas between the 6 of us - 3 savoury and one dessert.



Pork & Pancetta



Roast Lamb



Aussie



Strawberry - Pizza with mascarpone cheese and white chocolate, topped with pecan ice cream.

I'm not going to bother reviewing them one by one because personally I felt that they were all mediocre. I had great expectations for the dessert pizza but the only thing I liked about it was the pecan ice cream. I felt that the base of the pizza didn't go that great with the topping. Not that their topping was that great in the first place. Their savoury pizzas were average as well. Didn't blow my mind. Waste of my calories, if you ask me.

And their service, I don't even know where to begin. They seated us at the a la carte side of the restaurant for some unknown reason and then made us shift when we told them that were actually interested in pizzas. Okay, still acceptable. Then we ordered and waited 45 minutes for the savoury pizzas to come.

I'm not sure if you readers know this but I actually time restaurants. On average food will come between 12-20 minutes - 20 minutes being the upper limit of my patience. 45 minutes for pizza is just ridiculous.

Then we had to wait for another 45 minutes after we had finished for the dessert pizza to come.

There were only two good points about the place:
1. They didn't charge cake-age (not sure if that's the correct term). I've been to restaurants that charge 5 dollars per person when you bring your own cake. Preposterous.
2. You get 20% discount if you use the Melbourne University Student Advantage Card.

Don't think I'll go there again.

3 comment(s):

omg. are those strawberries on top of the pizza? so disgusting. then again, the pizzas look small.

By Blogger Cheng Sim, at 4:20 PM  

There's not that small... you get 6 reasonably sized slices out of it.

By Blogger Evelyn, at 4:30 PM  

Usually have pizza at Lygon St when in Melbourne. Must try out this place when I head to Melbourne in a couple of months. Not a big fan of dessert pizzas though. Tomato base please! :D

By Blogger Minny, at 8:35 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home