Some questions do not have answers

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Twenty going on Fourteen

Today I woke up feeling exceedingly bored and decided, on a whim, to log onto ICQ. My long neglected form of communication with my friends and random strangers during my teen years which has been overtaken by MSN Messenger in the recent years. I logged on and within a minute got an instant message from someone from my hometown.

That triggered a long forgotten sensation. The adrenaline rush of meeting somebody new for the first time and the 'getting to know each other phase'. Except this time with a few modifications. When I was fourteen - young, naive, trusting and blissfully ignorant, I would have believed everything the person told me with the wide eyed innocence of someone who has never seen the world. We would have chatted for weeks without knowing each other and subsequently deciding that we should meet up.

At 20, there's such a thing called Friendster. I looked his profile up. Then I sensed dissapointment. Once the mystery is unravelled, the charm was lost. 2 minutes after meeting him, I knew all about him, or at least enough of an idea to tell me what the person is like. It's like watching a flower bloom and wilt all in less than 30 seconds.

"There is a charm about the forbidden that makes it unspeakably desirable." - Mark Twain

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home