Some questions do not have answers

Monday, January 16, 2006

The Happy Ending

All my life I chose to watch movies that have happy endings. Why would somebody want to watch a movie that had a sad ending? It's depressing...what more, it's not ideal. The best thing to happen is for the lead male and lead female to end up happily ever after. Then I can sleep in peace.

However, lately I've been thinking a bit differently. Perhaps now i am more... realistic? Down to earth? Movies that end with happy endings usually end when the leads get together. However, that is no ending - it is a beginning. The movie doesn't show what happens afterwards. Do they stay that happy? Do they truly end up happily ever after and grow old together?

My favourite genre of movies is romantic comedies. My heart melts when the lead male character pulls some amazing stunt to make the lead female fall in love with him. And when the end comes where they finally get together after all sorts of stumbling blocks, I am happy - relieved, almost.

Then the credits roll and I am back to reality.

It is not that I have no faith that such things happen. They do happen. Meeting people in the lift, having a good looking stranger come up to you for directions or receiving help when all hope is lost are encounters that can happen, have happened to me. However, more likely than not they just remain what they are - chance encounters.

I guess I am just growing up.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home