Some questions do not have answers

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Evelyn Learns Mahjong

I went to my friend's birthday party yesterday and for the first time, played mahjong and actually won two games! Wohoo!! I have to say I understand why so many people like that game so much. Back home there's a group of tai tais (middle-aged women who have rich husbands with nothing better to do with their time) who play mahjong every single day and from my house I can hear the tiles being mixed periodically. I never understood the fascination. How could you play the same game every single day without getting sick of it? Well, now I'm starting to understand a little bit more.

Lately, my nights has been troubled with dentistry-related nightmares. Last night I dreamt that I was working as a qualified dentist for the first time with nobody to turn to for a second opinion and the whole night I was just trying to come up with the best treatment plan and the best way to inject the local anaesthetic and so on and so forth. This course is really taking its toll on me.

Going to end on a lighter note with pictures of the stuff I brought to my friend's birthday.


Onde-onde. For those who don't know what this is, it's basically a chewy ball of glutinous rice flour with palm sugar in the middle coated with dessicated coconut. It's supposed to be greener than what the picture shows. Somehow the green didn't manage to shine through. Oh well.


The Birthday Cake - Genoise sponge with a custard layer in the middle topped with white chocolate ganache. The golden stuff on top is caramel. Had a lot of fun baking it.

2 comment(s):

mahjong is game for 8 years old to 80 years old. btw, nice onde-onde. ^_^

By Blogger Dragon City, at 12:23 PM  

Hey where did you get the onde onde!

By Blogger Dentist Down Under, at 12:30 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home